Side-Stepping the Weaving

New projects, now that Athenaeum is over: lampworking and Royal clothing.

As part of the Lampworker’s Guild, I volunteered to make two strands of beads for gifts from the Kingdom, not realizing how close the deadlines for Athenaeum and July Coronation would be.  Honestly, I should have started it sooner, but I kept thinking I had plenty of time.  HA HA HA!  Whoops.

So, I pulled out the lampworking stuff and noticed that my bead release was, of course, bone dry.  I added a bit of water to it and let it sit for a couple days, shaking it once or twice a day.  On the second day, it was clear that the stuff was still solid sludge, so I stirred it with a mandril and added a bit more water.  I shook it again and realized (too late) that I added too much water.  It was too thin.  I left the cap off it for a couple days to dry out and it’s STILL too thin.  UGH.  I was able to make a few beads using the mandrils that I had dipped last time, but I’m down to the last 5 or 6 and then I’ll have to dip some more.  I have made arrangements to borrow some from HL Aenor to tide me over, and I may go ahead and order another bottle from Frantz.

The challenge is to make the beads using the Historical Bead Challenge samples that many of us made several months ago.  I got most of the way through the challenge before I lost momentum (ran out of gas, needed to focus on other things, etc.).  Of the 21 lessons, I think I only missed the last 2 of them, which I plan on finishing once I get the supplies I need.

The other thing I’m doing is helping make costumes for their Royal Highnesses of An Tir, the project headed up by Baroness Lorenzia & HL Margo, who live just a couple miles from me.  Duke Morgan and Duchess Livia were King and Queen a couple of times before in another Kingdom (Adenveldt?  Arizona area) but this is their first time for An Tir.  They are terrific people and fun to hang out with.  They have two lovely children (I’ve only met one so far, but I hear the other is equally delightful) and we are clothing not only TRHs, but the kiddos and His father, who is also a Duke.  This is a lot of work, but we are up to the task (and volunteered, of course, and are more than delighted to do so).  Yesterday and today I spent many hours at Lorenzia & Margo’s finishing seams, cutting out garments, and brainstorming with the team, coming up with genius ideas (not all of them are mine, mind you…but I feel that I have contributed).

One of our genius ideas was to make checky tippets for TRHs.  I said, “Gosh, that’s just like making a quilt,” so we’re cutting strips and I’m sewing my quarter-inch seams, cross-cutting flipping and sewing…

I was able to mostly finish the long bits for both Himself and Herself, but only partially finished her arm bands.  More tomorrow.  There are plans for further embellishments to them as well….details to be revealed soon!

I am learning so much from Her Excellency, who is SO skilled at making costumes.  She also took out the time today to help fit a lightweight pair of bodies for me.  I’m looking forward to having one that fits me well, is comfortable, but still allows me to do things like twist and bend.

It’s been a long weekend…and it’s only Saturday!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *