(Originally posted 27 January 2015)
It was Event Weekend last weekend! We had our Barony’s big demo at the Fairgrounds that had record-breaking numbers. This was my view for the weekend. Not as Regal and Medieval as one might like. It is the grandstands of the racetrack. Most of the action was held in the big building next door.
I finished up the “S” pattern rather quickly in anticipation for a demo at the Fairgrounds last weekend. Since I couldn’t exactly take an empty loom for display, I warped up the first pattern in Applesies & Fox Noses, which is another Iron Age find from Finland. It almost looks like it was getting warped up and they ran out of thread…or cards…so they just went with what they had.
This is another seriously fast weave. I have about a yard done already. I’m looking forward to doing some more out of the book! This is #1: Colorful Small Applesies
Here are the pieces that I had on display. I was next to my weaving buddy, Emma, so I loaned my weaving stuff for her display. She then won the prize for best display. Again. Glad I could help…no, I’m not upset–she puts together a great display!
I also warped up the rigid heddle loom, although I really should have used a smaller yarn; the heddle is too small for this thick yarn. But hey, it was an experiment.
And finally, I set up and made some progress on the warp-weighted loom. Although I don’t know if you can legitimately call it a “warp-weighted” loom if the warps are not yet weighted. I was talking with a couple of other weavers there, and they gave me some really great advise on how to proceed and tips on how to prevent issues. You can’t see it very well in the display (below) so I took a picture of it set up in my living room.
My artsy-friend and I set up a Lampworking area in the demo hall at the event. We have great ideas for improvements…although my kiddo is pretty awesome as part of the backdrop. She very carefully strung 10 feet worth of beads to help reduce the loss (we had a few things disappear from the table…sadly).
I made a few beads on commission for a braid-bearded man…unfortunately, I can’t find the photo now. 🙁
I also made sets of beads for Kingdom largesse. They are running really low, so they asked for sets of 3–one large and two smaller beads. I only got 3 sets done, but I hope to make more in the upcoming weeks and deliver them at Kingdom A&S in March.
I don’t know if I can make quick and easy weaving for largesse–maybe I can do some smaller “test” pieces that I will donate.